Thursday, December 30, 2010

700c vs. 26"

The debate between wheel size has been going on ever since Mike Schmitt ran his leader with 26" wheels (or at least thats the first that I remember). In my opinion, there will always be this rivalry in the FGFS sport between these two rim sizes. I personally ride 700c but I'm no 700c nazi. There is actually a set of 26" rims in my garage but I haven't had the funds to build them up yet. But after getting my Bruiser and being able to fit bigger tires, I don't know if I'm going to end up switching. How I see it, 700c is a lot more comfortable to ride on and there are plenty of frames that accomodate the same size tires as 26". The only reason I wanted to change to 26" in the first place was because I have short legs and the bike would fit me better. People also say that 26" is stronger but a 700c wheel could be just as strong with the right builder. Next, I also think that people do way too many stupid things to get full barspin clearance. I don't think getting smaller wheels is worth the sacrifice of comfort while commuting. In the end, I guess its all preferance but I think I'll stick to my 700c's for now. You can see the debate over on Volume but here is what I see about the pros of each:

700c:
Looks Cleaner
More Techy Tricks
Better to Commute
Faster

26":
Stronger (maybe)
More Choices for Tires and Rims
Lower Standover
Increased Barspin Clearance

Steven_vandal

No comments:

Post a Comment